Prediabetes Health Care Provider Tool Kit
What can you do to identify and treat patients with prediabetes?
Take a look at these tools and select the ones best suited for your practice. (Coming soon – download the entire tool kit on your desktop computer for easy access while counseling patients)
- For background on diabetes prevention and what you can do in a clinical setting, view the Screen, Counsel, Refer and Follow-up for Diabetes and Prediabetes power point presented by J. Michael Gonzalez-Campoy, MD, PhD, FACE and Teresa Pearson, MS, RN, CDE, FAADE
View power point presentation now 10.08MB PowerPoint
You can also read the script of the presentation 17.55Mb PDF
- Learn more about the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Make the case for diabetes prevention with data and information specific to Minnesota. Links take you to web pages full of information. Downloadable pdfs are available at the bottom of each page.
Identifying people with Prediabetes:
- Minnesota Prediabetes Screening and Treatment Algorithm (revised 2013). 79Kb PDF
Identify those at risk, interpret diagnostic criteria and initiate lifestyle interventions for adults with prediabetes
- Refer to the American Diabetes Association’s Standards of Care 2013
- Use this Risk Test for patients in your wait or exam room to help them self-assess their own risk
7A CDC Risk Test 478Kb PDF
Or install this CDC widget on your clinic web page
Women with a history of gestational diabetes during pregnancy are at greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life. Use the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention fact sheets for a handout for patients.
Youth (10 -17 years)
Although youth are not eligible for the National Diabetes Prevention Program, check out the MN Algorithm for Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Identification and Intervention for Youth
- Additional tools can be found in the AMA/CDC Provider Toolkit or check out these additional resources
Referring People to National Diabetes Prevention Program (NDPP)
Use these materials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to explain the NDPP. Add your clinic name to personalize them for your patients.
- Provider brochure to inform other providers in your health system about the NDPP.
Provider brochure 2.41MB MSWord 2010
- Participant brochure to help patients learn about prediabetes, diabetes prevention and the NDPP
Patient brochure 2.22MB MSWord 2010
- Simple provider referral form to enroll participants in a NDPP group
Referral form 107Kb PDF
- Poster for your clinic or exam rooms to encourage patients to learn about diabetes prevention
NDPP Poster 1.95Mb PDF
Where to Find National Diabetes Prevention Programs (NDPP)?
Check out Minnesota NDPP sites to find the nearest NDPP
- Map of MN NDPP Sites to check for availability near you 300Kb PDF
If there are none, consider promoting a NDPP in your community. Check out the I CAN Prevent Diabetes website contact information to connect with a MDH representative for more information.
- Use the MN NDPP calendar to find a course starting in your community.
- Patient Take Home Brochure with NDPP Sites by City and Phone Number and a brief description of the NDPP curriculum 217Kb PDF
- To check for CDC Recognized Diabetes Prevention Programs in other states, visit this CDC web-link (Find a Program near You)